Monday, July 9, 2007

Revised attitude toward having the 4th in the middle of the week


Remember I said I liked having the 4th in the middle of the week? I lied. I hate it. For days, I had no idea what day it was, having my husband home in the middle of the week and then on the weekend wasn't working for me, and I felt depressed and not motivated. Not good. Because I was feeling so low, I ran on both Saturday and Sunday in the hopes of lifting my mood (and lowering my weight because what's up with eating mounds of potato salad over the 4th?). I definitely felt better about myself, but I had a nasty stomach thing all day yesterday that sucked.

Wow, usually I don't complain so much (here, anyway) but I wanted to get it off my chest and bring up the subject of working when you really don't feel like it. It's hard. It's up to you to motivate you and sometimes it's pretty hard coming. I know for me that the downward spiral usually turns up after a day or two and I'm ready to get back at it. And in order for that turnaround to happen, this is what I do:

  • I exercise. It always makes me feel better - never fails.
  • I shut down my computer and my Blackberry completely.
  • I engage my kids - they have really good, wacky ideas that have nothing to do with anything but fun.
  • I call my life coach. She's always there for when I need a pick-me-up.
  • I meditate. When I'm down, it's probably because I'm stressed, overwhelmed, tired and scattered. I need to sit, breathe and relax.
Not rocket science, but simple stuff I can do that can really help me get out a funk. My husband says I'm missing something from that list, but that's another post;)

What do you do when you're down?

No comments: